Hiring Organization / Company: Rio Tinto
Basic Salary: To Be Discussed
Employement Type: Full-Time
Principal Advisor – Regional Economic Development
- Help create a long-lasting positive legacy
- Join an encouraging leadership group, committed to your growth and development
- Key function in crafting and driving global Communities and Social Performance (CSP) initiatives and strategies
- Role based in Johannesburg, ZA
Our approach to Communities and Social Performance (CSP) is to build strong partnerships based on a relationship of mutual trust and respect. This includes the way we engage with communities and the steps we take to identify and manage social, economic, environmental, cultural, and human rights impacts throughout the life cycle of our projects, from exploration, to project development, to operation and closure.
About the role
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
We are looking for a Principal Advisor – Regional Economic Development (RED) who will act as a technical subject matter expert in the area of Regional Economic Development. This role must understand the long-term impacts and the influence that large scale developments can have in a region and how to leverage this to contribute to broad-based, long-run regional development.
We are an open, connected global team. We offer competitive, performance-focused remuneration and a wide range of benefits to reward your contribution. With a global reach, the opportunities to develop and grow your career are broad and exciting.
Reporting to the General Manager Global Communities and Social Performance (CSP) and working in a challenging and exciting environment within Communities and Social Performance Area of Expertise supporting specific Product Group. This is a great opportunity for an experience individual to provide technical guidance and support in this area within the CSP function and across the business, where you will:
- Oversee and advise RED implementation with operations in the Minerals Product Group – ensure delivery against risks, operational targets, Group objectives
- Provide strategic and technical advice and solutions for RED to operational assets, including supports for the resolution of complex situations, ensuring alignment to standards, policy or legislative requirements
- Assess and review risks and opportunities links to regional development and maintain view of regional risk profile in collaboration with asset teams Support and lead the Regional Economic Development steercos at site level
- Provide spatial planning / growth and market analysis / regional investment priorities analysis
- Identify and develop options for short, medium and long-term RED investment and delivery
- Identify options for delivery partners and co-funders at local / national / international level (as appropriate)
- Research and benchmark options against best practice delivery models
- Align RED delivery options with RT frameworks and guidelines Manage implementation partners, with site support
- Set up integrated RED reporting framework (including progress and impact indicators)
- Progress reporting and updates to site leadership and Product Group leadership
What you’ll bring
- A commitment to the safety of yourself and your team
- Demonstrated experience in crafting and delivering strategies, and ability to drive technical excellence in CSP at regional and asset teams
- Experience in successfully developing and managing development projects
- Demonstrated International experience
- Demonstrated experience in project managing and working through a networked organization in achieving results.
- Demonstrated expertise in implementing and assuring communities and social performance standards and systems
- Sound understanding of business interface and developmental opportunities within a range of jurisdictions
- Multi-jurisdictional experience
- Experience working in the mining & metals / extractive sectors, will he highly regarded
What we offer
Come join our team and enjoy some great benefits:
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- A safety-focused and inclusive work environment
- Career development to further your ambitions
- Competitive salary package
- Eligible for the Rio Tinto employee share programme
- Ongoing individual wellbeing support for you and your family for personal and professional matters
- Exciting multicultural working environment
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers –generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress. Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium –the world’s first to be certified “responsible” –helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world, and explore the universe. Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, women, the LGBTI+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome –they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
Job Location Information:
Location: Johannesburg, Gauteng
Date Posted: 2021-05-04
- You may also interested for the following jobs:
- Principal Advisor – Regional Economic Development Jobs
- Jobs Vacancies in Rio Tinto